Hello I’m Orkun, our guest today is Erhan Oral. Like we mentioned before, we’re gonna categorize how
to choose a tenis racket. Our topic is the head size of the racket. – Yeah Erhan, welcome.
– Thanks. We already have an intro about all the details about you, why we chose you as an authority and because of that I won’t go into
details here again. Please watch the other video, it’s long. When we talk about all your titles
alltogether, it really comes out long. In this video, we’ll go into details. What is the thing that’s called
head size of the racket, for example when people go to babolat.com, they write head size and search. What is that and what does it do? What does it change in peoples minds? If we talk about the head
size of the racket, there are many head sizes varying from 80 to 110. Yeah. Let’s tell them what 80 and 110 is. Inch square. I mean, when we look at the old rackets, especially wooden rackets,
they are much smaller. They are probably 80, even 75 perhaps. – We see that racket’s frame is small…
– So think about it like this, – almost like a squash racket.
– Exactly. This… I remember those rackets
as a child by the way. – Of course we begun with wooden rackets.
– yeah, I played too.. Accordingly, it goes up from 80 to 110. 110 is even called oversize. – Here it is, in my hand.
– Yeah, this is an oversize racket. 110… This one is, for example, 98 98 is widely used but 110 is really rarely used, right?
It’s mostly in the American market I think. They are mostly preffered in recreational
tennis and by veteran tennis players, I’ll tell you why in a moment. When the head size gets bigger, its power increases, let me mention that. By power increase you mean
you can hit the ball further… Yeah it does that, and… I call that trampoline effect. Trampoline effect, yeah… Because its area of effect is bigger, and the area we call “sweet spot”, the sweetest part of the racket, – Yeah, sweet spot.
– Yeah. is bigger. When it’s about this size at the
other one, here it’s this big. The reason why recreation players, club players choose this is, this has a
bigger area to correct the mistakes you do, it absorbs the bad shots one can say. I am a beginner tennis player, and I can’t hit the ball with
the middle of the racket. When I hit it, I hit it with the
side of the racket. Think about it, I have a bigger
area to hit the ball. The other one has a small area,
almost as small as the ball, – It’s easier I mean…
– Yeah exactly, it’s easier. In general… From the beginner level to pro level, the ideal size of the racket is
between 95 and 98 these days. This is just a personal choice, more power does not mean we need to make the rackets 120 square inches. One of the main differences between a big
head size and small head size is this; When it gets smaller you have
more control over your shot, – with smaller rackets…
– by the way… Can you expand on what
control means please? What I mean by control is, rackets… Power increases with the other one,
trampolineffect, it sends the ball further. But what do you mean by
the increase in control? Because the sweet spot gets smaller, you need to hit the ball
perfectly every time, and because this area is small, you hit the ball with more control, – this is…
– So the player’s contribution increases… Yeah and because of this, they are mostly
prefered by more upper level players. So, we can rephrase it like this… Because I talk about rackets
so much in our stores, I can talk about this better than you… He means this, you are a good player. And after a certain point, you don’t
want that trampoline effect. You want to hit the ball with
your own arm and body, 100% only with your own contribution. Like Federer, or Nadal does,or like all the – pro ATPL players do, or like you do…
– Yeah, exactly. And so, they want to have a sweet spot only as big as the racket, they don’t want any trebuchet effect, they want to hit it with only
their own power. he hits the ball to where he wants,
to right on the line, or to the corner of the serve line, It is that sensitive… He can put the ball right where he wants to
with only 5 or 10 cms of a difference. And to do that, he doesn’t want to have the
trampoline effect, he doesn’t want this. Yeah… But if you are a beginner,
you prefer this racket. You can prefer, rather… When you put power and control
to 2 seperate edges, we come to the gap between the
racket strings. 16 to 19, or 18 to 20. We can think two of them as a whole,
with the head size… Yeah. This one has wider gaps, this is 16-19. It is prefered by players who
use top spin mainly. The thick one, the one we call 18-20, it has more control, the one that
has less power… – Yeah…
– The other one is pretty rare. – 18-20…
– You need to obtain them as custom made. When you go to a shop, for example SPX, when you check out the tennis wall,
it’s almost non existent… – Maybe this one can be 18-20..
– Yeah that is 18-20. These are 18-20 yeah.. but these are the hardest rackets
to play with that you can see on the wall. These are the rackets that
have a high control level They are technically good… You don’t expect anything from the racket, – you hit it yourself…
– You hit it with your own power… These type of rackets, the one
that I’m holding right now, by the way this is also a
high level racket. But because I prefer to play top spin, I prefer the gap between the
springs a bit wider… – This is Nadal’s racket right?
– Yeah it is Nadal’s racket. The exact same one… – We don’t sell this at the store, right?
– No, no, we don’t… Because you aren’t Nadal or Erhan Oral, we don’t sell this in our stores. This is a custom racket. By custom I don’t mean that we are
granting a favor to Nadal or Erhan, that only they can play with
this racket and we’re holding this tech from you. You need to hit the ball like Nadal orErhan
does if you want to play with that racket. And if you can’t, you shouldn’t play with that racket. Let’s take me as an example Erhan is playing
actively, I haven’t played for years… If I play with that racket right now,
I’ll injure my arm. – Most probably…
– Most probably I will, eventhough I have the technique. I don’t have the necessary training so accordingly, you need to
avoid those rackets. I see this mistake really often
let me talk about that at this junction. People go and buy Federer’s racket. I really feel sad about this, and I laugh up on my sleeve,
tragicomically of course, because I find this funny. I see people that can’t even hit the ball buying Federer’s racket. Federer’s racket is incredibly
hard to play with, so is the one in your hand, that’s why we don’t sell
those in our shops. We’ll come to our next topic now, weight and balance. – Then we’re closing this one up.
– Yeah… Okay… See you at the other videos of this series.